Resources for LGBTQ+ Youth and their Families
Local Resources (Jefferson County, KY)
- Louisville Youth Group: Louisville Youth Group (LYG) is the primary LGBTQIA+ nonprofit community serving LGBTQIA+ youth in Kentuckiana. We provide a safe space for gender and sexuality diverse young adults to grow their identities, learn leadership skills, and develop the tools needed to both thrive personally and to act as agents of change in their communities.
- PFLAG: PFLAG is a local support group for parents, friends, and allies of the LGBTQ+ community. PFLAG has an active chapter in Louisville, KY.
- The LGBT Center at the University of Louisville: The LGBT Center at the University of Louisville is a resource for all students, faculty, staff, alumni and guests and aims to create a safe, inclusive community for everyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- University of Louisville LGBTQ+ Patient Care: Through partnership with the UofL of School of Medicine and the LGBT Center, the University of Louisville is working hard to comprehensively improve care to LGBTQ neighbors and patients. This includes listing top-notch and affirming providers on our website and creating changes to our electronic health system so that all patients can easily share their preferred name and pronouns.
- Norton Healthcare – LGBTQ Inclusion Resources: Norton Healthcare is an inclusive health care provider. We believe every person has a right to the best health care experience and treatment options. If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ), it’s important to be open and honest with your medical provider so that we can work together to meet your health needs.
- Fairness Campaign: The Fairness Campaign is Kentucky’s LGBTQ advocacy organization founded in 1991 by 10 Louisvillians. Its primary goal is comprehensive civil rights legislation prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and to dismantle systemic racism.
- YMCA Safe Place Services: YMCA Safe Place Services is a branch of the YMCA of Greater Louisville. We’re committed to making our community stronger by providing help, hope and healing to teens and families in crisis. Our mission is to accept, affirm and advocate for youth by empowering them to reach their full potential in spirit, mind and body.
- Coming Soon! The Sweet Evening Breeze LGBTQ Youth Shelter: Sweet Evening Breeze is committed to serving Louisville’s LGBTQ+ youth experiencing homelessness by going beyond the expectations of shelter in providing housing, hope, and healing.
State Resources (Kentucky)
- Kentucky Youth Law Project (Lexington, KY): The mission of the Kentucky Youth Law Project, Inc. is to enhance and protect the legal rights and entitlements of Kentucky’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, gender fluid, and gender non-conforming children and youth though free legal representation, education, and public policy advocacy.
- TransKentucky (Lexington, KY): TransKentucky is a support, social, and resource group serving Lexington and the state of Kentucky as a whole. It is the mission of this group to provide a safe place for transgender individuals and people who feel they do not fit into the standard gender norms to express their true selves.
- Trans Parent Lex (Lexington, KY): Parents and allies of transgender teens in and around Lexington, KY. Click the link and join the Facebook group to learn more about connecting with other parents of transgender adolescents in Lexington!
- Pride Community Services Organization (Lexington, KY): The Pride Community Services Organization works to improve the lives of people in the sexual minority and gender expansive community of Central and Eastern Kentucky by enhancing visibility, empowering community members, and educating the public about issues impacting said community.
- Big Sandy Safe Zone (Pikeville, KY): The purpose for which this corporation is organized is to establish an LGBT+ center open to the general public to foster a safe place through social engagement groups/activities, health and well-being, educational resources, and any and all other appropriate means. This corporation is organized and operated exclusively for eliminating prejudice and discrimination purposes within the meaning of 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code.
- The Trevor Project: A national 24-hour, toll free confidential suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth.
- GLSEN: GLSEN is a United States-based education organization working to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression in K-12 schools. GLSEN has a Bluegrass chapter locally.
- Human Rights Campaign: Human Rights Campaign is America’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer equality.
- Family Acceptance Project: The Family Acceptance Project® is a research, intervention, education and policy initiative that works to prevent health and mental health risks for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) children and youth, including suicide, homelessness and HIV – in the context of their families, cultures and faith communities.
- It Gets Better Project: The It Gets Better Project exists to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe.
- TransKids Purple Rainbow Foundation: Spreading the message of tolerance, acceptance & unconditional love which are a birthright for all transkids.